Sunday, March 22, 2009

Surgery!

I don't know where the time goes!! I haven't been so busy that I don't have time to write in my blog . . . it is just that I always seem to be doing something else. I will try to do better!!

We very much enjoyed Carnival in February. We didn't take part in any of the partying as that isn't our thing at all. But we did go to the top of the Freeman Hotel to see the fireworks. The wind was blowing towards the hotel so the fireworks were coming down all around us . . . it was incredible. There are some great Carnival photos and videos at this blog http://www.countdowntomexico.com/2009/02/25/whew-it-was-a-blast/. Nancy's blog is a wonderful one to read to learn more about what is happening in Mazatlan . . . and she updates way more often than I do!!

The "big event" over the last little while is Bob's surgery. Those of you who email me occasionally already know about it. Bob has always had back problems, due to his scoliosis. The last few months his back has been getting worse and it has been affecting his leg. His leg would go numb, starting just occasionally, but more recently, almost every day . . . sometimes it could not support his weight. It was becoming a dangerous situation . . . a few times we had to take a taxi home. If he was up north, being on his boat would be difficult and as it got worse, living on his boat would be impossible.

We talked to our Doctor, who referred us to a Neurologist. We had an MRI done. The Neurologist advised surgery. We did some research, checked out the Doctor, the hospital, others who have had the same surgery at the same hospital with the same Doctor. Bob decided he wanted to go ahead with it. Having the surgery done now, before it was an emergency situation would make it much easier for the Doctor as well as for Bob's recovery.

Now comes the incredible part. This process, from the initial doctor visit, to the actual surgery . . . took 11 days!!! Do you know how long that would have taken in Victoria? Years!!! (But I'm not going to go into that here!).

Anyway, go to "My Newer Photos" (to the left) and click on "Mar 11 Bob's Surgery" and you can see the whole thing. Actually, I've taken out the more gruesome and the more revealing photos . . . but you'll get the idea.

It is now 11 days after the surgery. Yesterday I took Bob out for his very first walk. We went three blocks, to the Plazuela Machado. He was pretty tired afterwards but very much enjoyed it. Today we will go four blocks. In about two weeks he will start physical therapy which will take 4-8 weeks. He may head home and finish his therapy there if it gets too hot here.

I've got almost 4 full months of work contracts booked, from July 1 to November 3 . . . so I'll be heading home at the end of June.

That's all for now! I sure would love to hear from some of you guys!!

No comments: