Friday, October 10, 2008

Back in Mazatlan!

I made it back, safe and sound, but not without adventure!!

I flew out of Victoria on Tuesday morning in the middle of that beastly wind storm . . . it was a horrible trip to Seattle. Seattle to LA was okay. LA to Maz was awful! Twenty minutes up in the air and they had a light go on in the cabin so we had to go back to LA. Circled for half an hour to burn up some fuel. Were met by ambulances, fire trucks, police cars . . . sure, they told us it was all standard procedure . . . but jeez, it sure scares the poop right out of you!

I seem to have gotten a cold just before leaving . . . and I'm still working on getting rid of it. I suppose travel and change of weather and just stress and exhaustion in general aren't helping at all!

Because of the problems with my flight from LA, I was three hours late getting in to Mazatlan. I was certainly blessed by an angel, as my friend Lee was to meet me at my new apartment with the keys . . . and there she was . . . sitting right at the door to the building, waiting for me knowing I'd show up eventually!

My first day here was spent unpacking, going to the bank, picking up a few groceries and finding an internet cafe. The internet in my apartment isn't working . . . will get that organised when the landlord gets back next week. Meanwhile, my neighbour arrived and he got it going on his deck, so I can now sit outside and check email.

It is very hot and humid here. I don't quite understand the humidity factor, but they say when they do some sort of mathimatical caluclation, using the temperature and the humidity, they get the "actual" temperature. (I think it is like the wind chill at home . . . makes it feel a heck of a lot colder that the thermometer says!) Anyway, with the humidity factor, it has been in the 120 degree range!!! Yikes!! However, I have Air Conditioning and fans in my apartment and it has great ventilation and I'm finding it not too uncomfortable. Of course, I don't go out much in the mid afternoon!

My friends and I met today and went for lunch to one of our favorite's, Lupe Loco, a palapa restaurant on the beach. There was a lovely light wind and it was very comfortable. So good to see the waves rolling in! Apparently, the waves were bigger than normal due to Hurricane Norbert which will be by passing us completely. However, they say Hurricane Odile might cause us a bit more problems . . . but nothing serious! So don't worry about me!!

No comments: