Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day of the Dead . . . or Hallowe'en

Things are beginning to cool down a bit in Mazatlan . . . I actually put a blanket on my bed! Of course, the air conditioner is still on, but turned down. We had a big thunder, lightening and rain storm late last week (see photos) and it seems to have been the turning point. It still has a ways to go before being comfortable enough to expend much energy, but at least I can walk a block or two without having to use my sweat rag!

Confession time! Okay, the worst thing about this heat? Going to the bathroom! You know when you try to take off a wet bathing suit? How it all rolls up? Well, the same thing happens here . . . you sweat all day, so when you go to the bathroom, everything is damp, and the underwear rolls up as it goes down . . . and is hell to get back up!!! Life is hard, isn't it? :-)))

And activities are gearing up! Every Thursday morning I'm volunteering in the English Reading Library, checking books in and out, selling memberships, shelving books and meeting a lot of people. On Saturday mornings I'm taking a Tai Chi class. I'm not too sure about it yet but thought it would be fun to try! I'm still trying to find the perfect Spanish Classes. Oh, and I have a cooking class next Wednesday! Jeez, this retirement thing is a lot of work!

On Saturday, several friends and I are going to dinner at Te Amo Lucy's (I love Lucy's). Lucy is preparing a special dish called Chile en Nogada. It consists of poblano chiles filled with "peccadillo" (a mixture usually containing chopped or ground meat, aromatics, fruits, and spices) topped with a walnut-based cream sauce and pomegranate seeds, giving it the three colours of the Mexican flag (red, green, and white). (this info from Wiki!) It is traditionally served on Independence Day but Lucy's was closed that day, and since she is supposed to make the best Chile en Nogada in Mazatlan, my friend Lee talked her into making it for Day of the Dead instead. I'll report back how delicious it really is! Lucy also serves my friend Bobbi's famous Louisiana Bread Pudding! So much for dieting on Saturday!

After dinner, there is a procession called callejonera (or a word similar to that). It is an annual walk to look at Day of the Dead altars around Centro. I've already seen a few of them set up around Revolution Square. There will be a donkey or donkeys carrying beer to be dispensed (free) to the walkers. Some costumes, music and all that.

I won't have any Trick or Treater's at my place as it is upstairs and at the back of the building!

Happy Hallowe'en!!!

No comments: